To become a Makeup Artist is not easy. You need to learn more techniques on basic blending, you need to love what you are doing because makeup is not just simply using makeup but it is a skill that you need to put in your heart.
I have been trained in various aspects. First, I studied Fashion Makeup at the Fashion Institute of the Philippines. I was truly ecstatic when my Dad allowed me to enroll in the Institution, he is very supportive in every endeavor of my journey.
My Celebrity Makeup Artist inspiration is Inyaki Yuson. I look up to his professionalism and his makeup prowess. He shares his ideas on how to be a skilled Makeup Artist.
Here are some of the tips that you need to do if you have plans to be a Makeup Artist:
1. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! - You think Makeup Artist is easy? uh uh...Going to school will not land you to a better job. You need time and effort to perfect your work, Practice makes perfect, as they say. But nobody's perfect so why practice? haha. kidding... Give time and effort everyday to practice in different canvasses-faces. Invite your friends and family and apply different techniques.
2. WATCH VIDEOS -Youtube is also helpful, watch youtube tutorials, take down important notes, and learn from them. Many successful makeup artist learn a lot from youtube.
Go and look for reknowned Makeup artists like Wayne Goss, Laura Lee, Patrick Star, Jaclyn Hill, Carli Baybel, etc.
3. INVEST - You dont need expensive makeup but you need to buy basic makeup essentials and brushes.
~primer, moisturizer, prep and prime spray, foundation, concealer, loose powder, eyebrow pencil, eyeshadow palette, eye liner, mascara, false lashes, contour, blush, blusher, translucent powder, lipstick~
learn how to use them properly for it is very essential, most especially on how to contour, highlight and blend the eyeshadow.
4. HAVE A DECENT PORTFOLIO - Hire a professional photographers to take photos of your work. It is important to take a photo for you to determine if you are improving from time to time. Me, as a Makeup Artist, I learned Photography. If there is a Photography workshop, I deal to them to have an exchange. I do makeup on their models, but I will join their workshop for free, because workshop is quite expensive. Isn't it amazing? lol. For my Portfolio, I photographed some of my works, hence I don't need to spend money to hire photographers. But if you can afford it, why not?
Have a portfolio and need to consist of various categories :
Fashion Makeup, Bridal Makeup, Avant Garde (fantasy or experimental) Makeup and Beauty Makeup.
5. PUBLISH YOUR WORK - For starters, You can publish you work in social media such as Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.
If you have a budget, put up a website or there are free websites that offer on the internet, but you can buy your own domain.
6. BE OPEN TO THE MARKET -Make your own business card and approach some of the event planners if you want to be a Prom, or Wedding Makeup Artist.
It takes time to build your name but please have patience if you love what you are doing.
Feel free to comment below if you have any suggestions and questions. Your constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you for reading. :* <3